Friday, January 14, 2011

Latin Dating

Question1:
The gap between expectations and dating caused tension because parents did not always describe what dating should and should not entail. I think that parents should explain appropriate dating behavior and be open with their kids when questions arise. I can understand how being told to not get pregnant would feel, especially if you had no clue as to how to get pregnant, as some of those girls didn't know. I think that it should be up to the teens as well to broach the subject. They can explain that they are not going to jump right into sex and that a little bit of trust is called for.

Question 2:
I have a few Indian friends and I believe that they have a lower rate of AIDS and unplanned pregnancy because their marriages are arranged. Honor is very crucial in those societies and virtue and pureness are highly valued. If a girl has had sex before marriage the family is shamed. The fact that arranged marriages take place so often has to help also because they sometimes do not meet their spouses till the day of the wedding.

Question 3:
What I find most surprising is that parents did not want to talk to their daughters about sex, like if that would keep them virginal. I also thought that it was weird how fathers did not want to meet boyfriends until marriage was around the corner. From my experiences as a teen, my father wanted to know everyone I went out with, it was a matter of safety and I cannot imagine why a father would not care to know.

3 comments:

  1. But isn't family honor an important component of Latin culture?

    Yes, that is surprising too -- perhaps those parents who don't want to know, hope that if they don't see it, that it isn't as "real"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. based on my experience, its much easier to talk about the birds and the bees with boys than with girls. as a matter of fact, girls are rarely spoken to about the matter by their parents. it makes me think that maybe it isnt done so or is rarely done so because they are not expected to ever even be tempted to THINK of such...due to family honor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know too much about Latin culture but i do beleive that family honor is important in their culture greatly as well!

    ReplyDelete